CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Case of the Clingys

That's right. I've got a handsome, cute male constantly on my heels. He doesn't say much, he eats whatever I make for dinner, and he adores me. He's my son. It sounds completely lovely, but, am I alone here when I say that it's somewhat annoying to me? Noah is SO clingy right now. If I'm doing the dishes, he manages to wriggle his little baby body in between me and the sink (his head comes to about my mid thigh) and he puts his arms up in the air and squeals "Mama! Mama! Maaammmaaaaaaa" and kind of bounces up and down. It is urgent to him. And if I try to finish one thing, or (dare I say it!) WALK into the other room, it's over folks. He cries. It is the saddest little face you ever did see. His little mouth opens and his lips contort and he gets SO upset. I should actually try to take a picture, since it WOULD be worth a thousand words. It's so so sad. But he wants me to hold him all. day. long. And it's physically impossible for a gal to do. It just is! Is he like that toward Christian? No.
After reading "Bringing Up Boys" about a year ago, I decided to pick it up again tonight. This time, I skipped straight ahead to the chapter about moms and boys. I remembered that there had been discussion about boys being clingy with their mothers, and then letting go slowly and clinging to their fathers. I couldn't find it.
Please somebody tell me that this is normal! It's not like I'm gone all day at work or anything. It's not like we don't play and have fun--we are together all day long! But he still just can't get enough of me! (I am, I guess, pretty much kind of a big deal) Anyway, Christian said the other day, "This CAN'T be normal. I have never seen a child behave like this!" But I tend to think (or hope) that it is. Anyway, any suggestions or comments out there? I know that these days will pass all too quickly, and believe me, I am trying to cherish them. I count my blessings every day and hug and kiss Noah so much! But I wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts??
--Clung to in TD :)
PS--did I mention that he is 32 pounds? I tried carrying him around with me everywhere for a few days, and although he was happy, my right hip and bicep were not.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

You know, I think little kiddos are mama's boys at this age. I mean, that does sound like it would get old after a while, but Troy (even though a year younger) is always watching where I go, and fusses when I leave the room lots of times. But man, cartin' a round a 32 pounder would be killer! My 2 year old nephew weighs that. He's gonna be a big boy.