CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Oh bother...

Never thought I'd find myself quoting Pooh, but when you have kids, the old sayings from cartoons come back to you.
Oh bother. I started shadowing today at a dental office. I've decided to give the hygiene program another go. For those of you not familiar, I applied for hygiene school at Mt. Hood Community College 3 years ago, and then Christian got hurt. I didn't get accepted anyway, I'm hoping because I lived out of state. BUT, now that we're settled and going to be moving to Portland, I'm trying again. So I'm shadowing a hygienist to get some hours accumulated. Hours=points for me=better chance of getting in.
Some of you may be wondering: Why is she applying to a community college when she already has a degree?
Here's why:
1) Not too many "Biologist wanted" ads out there. Actually, NONE. I need a job!
2) I'd like to have a title. So I can say, "I'm a hygienist", like some people say, "I'm a nurse". It'd be nice to go into a town and know that there is at least one of me required in that town.
3) They make $35/hour starting. Beats Biologist pretty much any day, unless you're 75.
4) Way flexible. I can work only 2 days if I want and still make ok money doing it. And that leaves plenty of time for me, Noah bear, and Christian to hang out :)
5) I need to get out. This job can be left at 5:00 pm and not revisited again until 8:00 am the next morning!

Those are a few reasons. I like the medical/dental field. I'm not squeamish about blood, and I think I'm fairly great with people. Especially old ones. They're precious.
Anyway, so I'm excited. I'm scared to be voicing this to whoever's out there, because chances are very very good that I WON'T get in. MHCC is so competitive. Probably 500 people apply each year and they only accept 18. We'll see. If I don't, I'll probably try again next year.

Anyway, so...oh bother. :) I'm a little anxious and nervous about this new chapter. But it's exciting. I'm looking forward to new and exciting things. If anyone gets a chance, say a prayer for me and my hygienist skills. I already have all the other important ones (numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills....)

2 comments:

joy said...

YOU CAN DO ITTTTTTT!
you're determined and you are so smart. Just give it your all and leave it up to the Lord.
I've got faith in ya! If and it doesn't happen- God's got something else up his sleeve.

m c i l r o y f a m i l y said...

You'd be great as a hygenist! I'll be praying. Keep us posted! :)